The past two years have brought forth a global financial crisis, official validation of the Peak Oil theory by the International Energy Agency (IEA) and mainstream media, and jaw-dropping displays of climate change worldwide. If you are aware of these realities, you are probably feeling burdened by all you know, especially if you have no place to really discuss the emotions that these realities evoke in you.
Navigating The Coming Chaos is a course designed to provide such a place. Not only will it provide a common forum for discussion of the issues, helping all of us not to feel so alone, but also inspiration and a vision of the incredible opportunities that the collapse of industrial civilization is offering us. In fact, this course will reveal that we are standing on an evolutionary threshold in which we have the opportunity to become a new species of humans who can and must create a new paradigm by which to relate to each other and the earth community.
The latter requires a larger vision than enhancing the longevity of oneself and one’s loved ones. It compels us to consciously and compassionately re-engage with the earth community by breathing new life and love into every species of animal, plant, and mineral in our world and ourselves. This course explores the psychological and spiritual aspects of the collapse of civilization and the opportunities it offers for the transformation of consciousness. It will help you re-evaluate your life purpose in the light of unprecedented transitions.
Next Course Date To Be Announced
This course is taught by the author of Navigating The Coming Chaos: A Handbook For Inner Transition, which will be the textbook for the course. A host of topics will be addressed including:
- What is collapse and what does it really look like?
- Paradigm shift — beyond capitalism or political-economic systems
- What does transition require us to face in the outer and inner worlds?
- Healing through working with the dark emotions
- Who do I want to be in the face of collapse?
- Living in the present while preparing for a future unraveling
You may have read the Transition Handbook, but this course offers a “handbook” for inner transition.
- What does it mean to become an "elder" for the culture and hold space for its transformation?
- How do we create beauty in a disintegrating, sometimes depressing mileu?
- What are some powerful cultural movements that inspire optimism for creating sustainable communities based on a new paradigm?
Students who complete this course will:
- Acquire specific emotional tools for navigating the psychological repercussions of transition and their own individual crisis of meaning in a post-industrial world.
- Be supported in constructing and refining internal structures for navigating transition and preparing for it emotionally.
- Have the opportunity to collaboratively contemplate a deeper meaning in relation to the coming chaos and discover their place and purpose in it.
- Be encouraged to explore and deepen their connection with something greater than the personal ego. Regardless of one's spiritual orientation or absence thereof, this course will use personal connections with nature, poetry, art, music, and other expressive catalysts to tap the inner resources of one’s individual humanity — invaluable treasures of internal fortification in a chaotic world in transition.
- Obtain strategies for emotional and spiritual preparation that can be shared with others and used infinitely.
- Provide a unique opportunity to be validated by other students and the instructor regarding perceptions and preparations with respect to the rapid unraveling of civilization.
- Have access to individual consultations with the instructor.
Carolyn Baker, Ph.D.
Carolyn is the author of Navigating the Coming Chaos: A Handbook for Inner Transition
She manages the Truth to Power website at www.CarolynBaker.net and is the author of five other books. She is a former psychotherapist and an adjunct professor of psychology and history, now entering her second decade of the Transition journey. She is a student of ritual and mythology and has continued her personal mediation practice for more than 30 years. She lives in Boulder County, Colorado.
Her other books include:
- Sacred Demise: Walking The Spiritual Path of Industrial Civilization’s Collapse (2009)
- Coming Out Of Fundamentalist Christianity: An Autobiography Affirming Sensuality, Social Justice, and the Sacred (2007)
- U.S. History Uncensored: What Your High School Textbook Didn’t Tell You (2006)
- The Journey of Forgiveness: Fulfilling The Healing Process (2000)
- Reclaiming The Dark Feminine: The Price of Desire (1996)
When and Where
The course takes place over four weeks on Saturday mornings from 10am to 1pm PST (Convert to other time zones) and occurs completely online. Participants call a conference call service to participate in the real-time discussions while listening to Dr. Baker, watching an online presentation, and speaking with other participants from around the world. Although a high-speed Internet connection is best, people with a dial-up Internet connection can use a cell phone to connect to the conference service.
There is a 5-minute break approximately at 11am and noon PST.
The course dates are:
You may want a good long distance plan, calling cards, or you can use a service such as Skype to call the conference service. If you use Skype, set up and test your account well ahead of time. You need to add credit to your account for the calls. Each call takes approximately $3 to $7 of Skype credit depending on where in the world you are calling from.
Price and Registration
The early registration price for the course $199. You receive a single login account for the private course forum. The homework takes between two and four hours each week.
The regular registration price is $249 and increases two weeks before the course starts.
You must be able to attend the first session and at least three of the four sessions.
No Need to Face This Alone
All course participants get a dedicated online forum to share their homework, express their insights, and learn from each other. The course does assign homework and we request that you register only if you are able to devote at least two hours each week outside of the sessions. This isn't a "listen only" course.
Individual coaching is available from Dr. Baker. Please contact us for more information.
Send us an email.
Next Course Date To Be Announced
Do you have a course that prepares people for a Post Peak life?
If you do, please click here to find out what we're looking for.